Thursday, March 3, 2011

navy.

Sweetest little baby ever!

From day one I could notice that her head was a little asymmetrical. She had different ears. Her right one was flat up against her head and her left wasn't, but it seemed to be slightly lower . When I would nurse her, I noticed her head shape more when I had a blanket draped over her.

I took her to our family doctor and he assured me that it was normal...babies have odd shaped heads from the birthing process.

So I hoped that was the case and just let it be for a while. When things didn't seem to get any better as she got older I went back and was referred to a paediatrician for a second opinion.

This all went down in the summer time while Garett was away for work.

So we journeyed into Lethbridge for the appointment. My dear Dad took me in while my Mom watched my other kids.

Dr. Lavine was her name....weirdest/nicest person I have ever met. When she talked it sounded like an alien....very hard to understand.

Very positive while she talked to us....laid Navy down, measured and felt her head. She ordered a head X-Ray for us and told me to do it as soon as possible. Then she proceeded to explain what she believed was the cause for Navy's head shape.

Craniosynostosis is a birth defect that affects the appearance of the head and development of the brain. Approximately one out of every 2,000 babies is affected with the condition.



There are sutures, or connections, on the head that separate individual skull bones-almost like a puzzle. With craniosynostosis, one or more of the sutures will close prematurely and give the head an abnormal shape.




Hmmm....It didn't really hit me at first because 1) I didn't really understand a thing the woman was telling me and 2) I couldn't get past the fact that this doctor is WIERD and 3) I couldn't wait to call Garett and tell him how weird this doctor is.



I was shocked to say the least...after I read the paper I was given on Navy's diagnosis. I immediately called Garett in the truck and we both had a breakdown over the phone....just the thought of our sweet little innocent baby girl having to have head surgery. AHHHH!!! To me that is a BIG DEAL!!



So we had the X-Ray done...which is another big deal for me because for some reason I don't think they are safe....I mean its radiation...not safe...especially on a baby! but it had to be done.



Dr.Lavin called and said that the X-Rays came out normal but they suggested a CT scan to be positive. I had a little sigh of relief, but then I was SUPER nervous to hear about the CT Navy was booked for. I spent alot of time researching, making phone calls and praying my heart out about this. CT are equivalent to about 100 X-rays. AHHHH. Im freaking out!



Navy's doctor pulled some strings to get us in for the CT asap, because the sooner we catch this and get it taken care of the better. I was FREAKING out! I really didnt want to go ahead with the CT...I didnt feel good about it at all.



So after talking to Garett the night before and totally balling my brains out I fell asleep....and woke up and canceled the CT. I went in to talk with Dr.Lavin about some different options and really see if this is all nessisary since the X-Rays were normal. she said its safe and its the only way to be sure.



so we rebooked the CT.



The night prior to the 2nd CT I cried again. Garett was gone and really didn't have an idea what I was going through. I needed him. I woke up the next morning and was sick to my stomach....but I decided to go with questions for the CT techs...and I mean alot of questions. and depending upon the answers they gave me would determine if I would actually go though with this.



My mom came with me thank goodness!



They called Navy's name and pronounced it Na-vee...weird



So I got back there and dropped every question I had on the techs. I wanted numbers, time, explanations. And they didn't have anything. I had them call MRI to see if we could go that rout...I had them call the childrens hospital....still not the answers I wanted. I was melting down in front of everyone which I totally hated, but couldn't help.



My Mom was patient with me and she thought I should just get it done so we could be sure. Every one seemed to think this is safe. So I was beginning to feel a bit better about it.



So they sedated her. gave her some liquids to help her fall asleep for a few minutes so she would be still for the CT. I rocked her in a room and then we went in for the CT.



they wrapped her up in a warm blanket and put her up on the table. She sucked on her soother and just slept. They gave me the option to leave the room because of the radiation, but I wasn't leaving my baby girl. I prayed she would stay asleep and NOT MOVE....heaven forbid they would have to redo the CT scan...I would lose my mind!! but she did great and I did ok too. It did seem like an eternity though!



Once I brought her out they told me to lay her down and take off her blanket to wake her up. And sure enough she woke up with a big grin on her face...totally melted my heart.



I took her into a mothers lounge to nurse her. I still had mixed feelings about the whole thing. But at the same time I was glad it was over and now we can move on.



A couple days passed and we found out that the CT came back normal. I think I was more mad that it came back normal because that ment she didnt really need it. But I was very relived that she wouldnt be needing any surgery. FUSH!



So Dr.Lavin still thought that Navy would need a correction helmet to help shape her head. (which im guessing was all caused during her development inside of my belly) so she told us to do a follow up in october/november to see if it was needed.



So tried to book an appointment and couldnt get in until Dec 8th. just my luck.



Dr. Lavin was surprised to see us because she had called the head shape clinic in calgary (which apparently is hard to get into) and referred us a while ago, but we didn't receive a phone call about it at all.



so the waiting game begins. the longer we wait the smaller the window gets to fix her head



Once we got in we drove up to calgary for the measuring. to see if Navy really did need this helmet. I was hoping they would say she didn't need it. But what they said was even worse....for me anyways.



"She could use a correctional helmet, but I wouldnt think you were crazy if you didnt get her on. But if she were my child I would do it"



so it is all up to us...and if you know me you know I am terrible about making up my mind.



A. Do we leave her head the way it is and hope she grows out of it naturally.



or



B. Do we get the helmet in hopes that we still have enough time to correct her head and have her suffer through it for 4 months.



It was hard for us, but we decided to do it.



so several trips back and forth to calgary to get measured, fit and adjusted.




The process was painless for Navy, which is good. She has had the helmet for almost one month and is doing awesome with it...no complaints...from her.


just waiting for the helmet. this is a bad iphone picture but you can kind of see in this picture that her forhead on her right side sticks out more...and also her right ear is kinda hidden.

she has had the helmet on for a couple hours and is sweating like crazy!! we are just getting it checked again for fit. then we are home free for a week.


they did some minor adjustments to navy's helmet on her week checkup...like added some foam around the back.

SOOOO...after all that drama Navy is healthy and we are all doing fine. we have one cute little helmet baby!

3 comments:

Kristyn said...

You are totally justified in your freaking out. Navy really is such a sweetheart.

cindy said...

I could totally relate to everything you shared in this post Krystie, except for our daughter actually had craniosynostosis. I'm so glad that everything worked out for your little girl in a positive way. I know one thing, she sure has a good and caring momma looking out for her! :)

Cindy

PamH said...

Aw, I was on such a little roller coaster there for a bit reading this post feeling so worried for you guys! SOO glad it worked out okay! Yes, Navy is ridiculously cute, which is perfect, because then her and Baker can make a ridiculously cute couple together and have totally ridiculously cute little grandchildren for us! :)